Saturday, October 23, 2010

Further Research

There was a part in Chapter 5 section D that was called “confusing possibility with plausibility” and I didn’t really understand it. The book didn’t give an example of what they each are so I still am confused on the difference. So, I looked up the definitions for us and will try and make an example of each. I found each of these definitions in the Merriam Webster dictionary:
Possible- being within the limits of ability, capacity, or realization
Plausible-
a.) superficially fair, reasonable, or valuable but often specious
b.) appearing worthy of belief
It's possible that you are correct = I don't know if you are correct, but you might be.
It's plausible that you are correct = It's reasonable to think that you are correct, so you probably are.
Basically, plausibility is what we use when we are critically thinking and reasoning; and possibility is just a way of measuring something without looking into it as much.

No comments:

Post a Comment