Friday, November 5, 2010

Appeal to Emotion excercise

4. A feel good argument
Yes officer I was speeding. But I was only going five miles over the speed limit. This would be my first speeding ticket and I always abide traffic laws. I slipped up this once because my car does not have cruise control so I have to constantly look down at the speedometer so see how fast I’m going. Since I was going downhill I lost track for a second and accidently went over the speed limit by only five miles an hour. I’m sorry but I have always followed the laws and I don’t think it is fair that you give me this ticket.
This would be a feel-good argument because I want to feel good about myself and make the officer possible pity me and not give me a ticket. Situations happen like this all the time but are a way of arguing with appeal to emotion.

3 comments:

  1. hahaha. First, I love your reasoning. The question we have to answer is pretty interesting as well. If I sped and got pulled over, I'd probably just pay the fine. I mean, if you brake the law regardless of the level of the crime, it is still a crime. That is just my opinion though. But, I can totally see your reasoning work as well. Well, considering that the officer is in a good mood, and that your car does not have cruise control, etc.. I like your example, because your transition between your example and the actual definition worked out perfectly.Creative post :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your argument and I think it is very clever. I decided to not write an argument for this problem because I didn't know how to start it off. I like how you supported your arguments and also used precise definitions. This is a feel good argument because you start off by saying yes you speeded. You also have a lot of support on why this is your first time and you never do anything like this, making yourself feel good precisely. The officer, if he is not in a bad mood, would then pity you. Which is exactly what you want to happen. These kind arguments cause that to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a great example and reasoning for a feel good argument. I am sure many of us have actually used the same exact excuse when we got pulled over the first time for speeding. It may not be a strong argument, and depending on the officer, he or she may still give you a ticket for speeding. But it demonstrates how you know you were in the wrong, yet you are still asking to be let off since you really don’t break the law 99% of the time. You are trying to convince the officer to understand what you are going through, and have him change his mind.

    ReplyDelete