Thursday, November 18, 2010

The reading on Causal Arguments

The main thing I liked about this reading is how it discussed law. My dad is a lawyer and so I have grown up with having to argue with a professional arguer. This reading, however, was very interesting to me because I have always wondered how lawyers think and argue so fluently in a court of law. Causal reasoning is basically what lawyers use a lot when trying to when a case. They go over the “cause and effect” of a situation and then try and argue the validity. The reading concluded with giving us three main pointers in causal reasoning. The first was to question how acceptable the implied comparison is. Second, we must question how likely the case of the cause is. And third, we must question how credible the “only significant difference” or “only significant commonality” claim is. The difference and commonality part are what help make the argument valid and that is what we always see lawyers arguing about in court to win their case. I enjoyed the reading and hope you guys did too ;P

1 comment:

  1. I like how you related causal arguments to lawyers. I do agree that lawyers always use causal arguments to prove their side of the case. That's basically what lawyers do. I noticed that you also listed the three points mentioned in the website and related them to your dad because he is a lawyer. Honestly, to answer your question, the reading was interesting but I did not exactly enjoy it until I read your post. I actually like the reading more because you mentioned how it relates to lawyers. I actually wanted to be a lawyer when I was younger, and I still think it's nice to be one. I liked your post because you definitely made the causal argument website more interesting by relating how lawyers use those strategies.

    ReplyDelete